PREVIVOR: A person who is not diagnosed with cancer, but has survived the predisposition, or higher risk, of cancer due to a genetic mutation and/or strong family history. After being armed with this information, a previvor can make informed choices prior to a cancer diagnosis.

Monday, December 26, 2011

Retrospective

Well it's that time again. December 26. The Christmas season has come and gone. My absolute, all time favorite present was my Keurig coffee maker. It's AMAZING, but I'm scared I'll have a heart attack from a caffeine overload now. Since this will be the hardest year yet in school, I have a feeling that little machine will get quite the workout.

Well on the boob front, I haven't heard anything yet about a problem from my insurance company. I know it's early days yet, but it makes me feel optimistic. I just need to do my implant homework and get the forms mailed back. They seriously gave me homework...literature to read and forms to return!

Since this is the last week of the year, I've been doing some thinking on my New Year's Resolutions. I went back to my post entitled "Happy New Year" on January 1, 2011, which you can read in it's entirety here.
These were my resolutions for this year:

1- I think I mentioned it in a previous blog but I want to handle my PBM with as much grace and courage as possible. I also want to add some humor into it! I want it to be as easy and painless (figuratively and literally speaking) as possible!

2-I want to be a better person in 2011. I can't really pinpoint a specific fault I want to change (do I have one? Just kidding =) ) I just want to be the type of person that people look at it and think "I want to be like her!"

3- I want to make an A in one of my classes this semester. I'm not picky, I just want one! An A has managed to elude me so far in nursing school.

4- I've mentioned this before but I want to get in better shape and lose more weight. I mean c'mon that's got to be a resolution right? It's like a MUST to have a weight-related resolution.

5-I want to help others! I really think that God had me survive all of this medical craziness for a reason, and I want to use my experiences to help other people.

I was quite the optimist huh? Here's how I did:

1. I know I did this. I've had a lot of people tell me that they admire how I've handled everything. That's not to say that I think I'm all that (well...;) ). You don't seem as courgeous to yourself as you do to those around you. But I'm glad to know I pulled this resolution off.

2. I have definetely matured since 2011. But does maturity equal a better person?

3. **BIG SIGH** I ended up making a D in AP2 which is nursing school code for "DUMMY you must retake the class" I've been told by several people (one of which is my advisor) that I had a lot going on in the Spring trimester and it's ok that I had to retake it. I am happy to report though, that I repeated the class in the Fall and came out with a B. So Pathophysiology, here I come!

4. **BIGGER SIGH** I am sad to say that while I was laid up recovering, I did not starve to death. My gym ended up closing for good in July and while I still enjoy working out, it's not the same. I'm trying though and this Zumba orphan will find a class somewhere! (They don't do classes at my new gym)

5. I'm in the process of doing this. I'm working with a friend to start a local FORCE support group. So I'm definetely excited to see that happen!

Am I going to make a list of my resolutions? No. I will state that my big resolution is "FINISH WHAT I START." oh and also to actually save money this year :)

Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment