PREVIVOR: A person who is not diagnosed with cancer, but has survived the predisposition, or higher risk, of cancer due to a genetic mutation and/or strong family history. After being armed with this information, a previvor can make informed choices prior to a cancer diagnosis.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

????

Ok so I know I should have tried to come up with a clever, witty title. But, to be honest I couldn't sum up the events of today in a few words so I'm sticking with ???? which really reflects my current mood.

Let me back up by saying that last night was my sisters' birthday dinner at my parents house. (Happy Birthday #2 and #3!). I got to visit with my grandmother some while I was doing her nails and it's just sad. I can't think of any other way to describe it. Without going into all the gory details, I'll just say that she has basically lost the ability to do anything for herself. Knowing her personality before she got sick, that has to REALLY weigh on her mind. I know it would mine....I hate having to be dependant on others. I'm just trying to spend as much time with her as I can....which is exhausting at times. And frustrating too..I like to FIX peoples problems. And I can't fix this.

Earlier today, I heard from Christina (my biological half-sister...to get anyone up to speed who isn't already, I'm adopted). She was telling me that our mother's breast cancer has spread to her brain. I got the impression that she doesn't have alot of time left. Christina and I are making the trip up to see her. I've never met her before and I am actually getting pretty nervous about it. But I know in my heart that I'll regret it for the rest of my life if I don't meet her.

Let's recap- my grandmother who is not biologically related to me has inflammatory breast cancer. My biological mother has breast cancer, which has metastasized to her brain. And I'm staring my upcoming preventative bilateral mastectomy in the face so I don't get breast cancer. I seriously feel like everywhere I look I see breast cancer. Like I can't get away from it...my life literally revolves around BOOBS!

On a happier note, the Zumba halftime show at the Grizzlies is Friday. I get the whole day off of work to do WHATEVER I want until it's time to go to practice. And Mike and I saw The Mechanics tonight. It's a Jason Statham movie...which means lots of people blowing up and getting beat up. And Jason Statham shirtless OOHHHHH!!! Hehe! And Valentines Day is coming up. We're eating dinner at Flight the Saturday before. I've never been there, but I've heard wonderful things about it, so I'm excited!

So that's my 2011 so far. And from the good to the bad, there is ONE thing...it's shaping up to be a year I'll never forget :)

1 comment:

  1. When my mom was fighting breast cancer, we started noticing it everywhere. Seriously, everywhere we turned, someone else had it. My mom had it, then her two best friends from back in high school got it - we joke that my mom is a trend-setter and everyone is just copying her (because sometimes you just have to laugh or you'll never stop crying!). I can't wait for the day cancer is eradicated... I hope we sit it in our lifetime.

    ReplyDelete