PREVIVOR: A person who is not diagnosed with cancer, but has survived the predisposition, or higher risk, of cancer due to a genetic mutation and/or strong family history. After being armed with this information, a previvor can make informed choices prior to a cancer diagnosis.

Friday, February 3, 2012

Paying it forward

As I've talked about all through this blog, I have received support from wonderful, brave women who have been where I've been. I honestly would be in a padded room right now if it wasn't for them. One group in particular that I've posted dozens upon dozens of messages on the message boards and received nothing but wonderful support. Check out their page here:

FORCE-Facing Our Risk of Cancer Empowered

I try to post on the message boards as much as possible still, but my role has changed from the person NEEDING support to the person GIVING support.

One thing I've noticed is that there was a lack of support in the Memphis area. The message boards are wonderful, but sometimes you need a hug! You need that person to person contact. So I, along with my co-coordinator Irene (who's blog you can read  here) decided to get a FORCE outreach group going in Memphis. I am SO excited about the prospect of supporting women with Hereditary/Genetic Breast and Ovarian Cancer in this area!

However, we do need to fundraise first. I normally hate just outright asking people for money, but this cause and this organization means so much to me that I'll make the exception :) Please take the time to visit my website here to donate whatever you can spare!

I thank you, Irene thanks you, and any woman or man who benefits from our group thanks you! Awareness is SO important and this is an issue that definetely needs it!

Thank you! :)

1 comment:

  1. I've just recently joined the Seattle chapter as an outreach coordinator, too. The chapter's been up and running here for awhile but I got the opportunity to come onboard, so I'm right there with you ladies! Good luck getting started! :)

    ReplyDelete