PREVIVOR: A person who is not diagnosed with cancer, but has survived the predisposition, or higher risk, of cancer due to a genetic mutation and/or strong family history. After being armed with this information, a previvor can make informed choices prior to a cancer diagnosis.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Happy Boob-a-versy!

YES! I have FINALLY made it one year since my PBM! And thanks to stupid leap year, the ticker on my blog reads 366 days since my surgery ;)

Some people might think it's silly to even remember this. I mean for my other surgeries I didn't even acknowledge the fact that anniversaries had come and gone. All of a sudden I look up and it's been almost 10 years since I was first diagnosed with a brain tumor.

But this is different. This was really and truly a life CHANGING and a life SAVING surgery. I didn't have to have this surgery. But I did, and I'm SO happy that I did. So I'm not necessarily dwelling on the past, but looking forward to the future. Because thanks to my PBM I have a nice, long future to be thinking on!

When I say it's a life-changing surgery, I mean I'm not the same person I was before I had the surgery. Essentially, I am but I feel like this has matured me more than I could imagine. (Not saying I was necessarily immature before but you get the idea). I know what I'm capable of now. I know how to get what I want. So, in a way, I think it was fitting for me to get a new job after I recovered. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love everyone I used to work with. It was just time to move on. I didn't feel like I could any longer be the happy, carefree, silly person I was before. Not that I'm bitter now, but just....different. Also, I realized how badly I want a career in nursing. So much so that I'm willing to put school before everything else. Before, I wasn't. Now I have one goal- to finish school.

I've also made mention of having low self confidence now. I really am trying to get that back. I'm back to eating healthy and working out. (I really did let myself go for awhile). I've also started taking salsa dancing lessons Some people don't understand it, but I love it! And you practically can't do salsa unless you're confident. I've noticed people who are good at it, exude confidence. So that's what I'm striving for. Also, I'm sure Dr. Sorenson would be perfectly alright with me doing anything that will keep my balance and coordination sharp :)

I'm currently on a break from school, which feels GLORIOUS! I've got to schedule another appointment with Dr. Cooper before I go back to school, and I have a feeling she'll be very pleased with how I'm doing. Our first FORCE meeting is April 30, and then it's school, school, school for awhile!

I've made it through this first year, post-boobies. Can't wait to see what the next year brings!

1 comment: