PREVIVOR: A person who is not diagnosed with cancer, but has survived the predisposition, or higher risk, of cancer due to a genetic mutation and/or strong family history. After being armed with this information, a previvor can make informed choices prior to a cancer diagnosis.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

First Steps

Well, today was my post-op follow up appointment. The doctor reminded me of my plans (as if I could forget!) and said to call him when I was out of school in the spring and we could get the ball rolling. I told him that I wanted to see the plastic surgeon now, so I can go ahead and start planning things. He seemed pleasantly surprised that I'd taken the proactive approach to it and immediately left a message for the plastic surgeon. His nurse is supposed to call me tomorrow to let me know when I can set up an appointment for a consult.

I did some research on the plastic surgeon (ok I just googled "Laura Cooper-plastic surgeon-Memphis TN) but saying I "did some research" sounds more mature :) She's younger (mid 30s) and just starting out. It says she's worked with "world renowned innovators in the field of reconstructive breast surgery." It didn't mention any names, but that was the terms that the article used. It also says that she employs the latest technology and techniques and strives to exceed her patients expectations. She comes very highly recommended by the doctor. I like that she is younger, which means that she will be more open to using technology and techniques (I'm dying to ask her about Alloderm, the one step reconstruction.). It also means that she'll understand the importance of "natural looking post-reconstruction breasts" (The article said that as well). So I'm looking forward to our appointment!

It IS a little scary in the fact that I feel like I have taken the first step in this whole lengthy process. No turning back now! I'm trying to go ahead and research "supplies" I'll need after the PBM. I've read about special camis, bras, and a really cool pillow. It's called "rest easy pillow" and it's for post-mastectomy patients who are "side sleepers."  Honestly, that was something that was freaking me out a little (I can ONLY sleep on my side, not on my back). I feel like that was an answer to prayer!

After I got home from the doctor, I decided to go to Zumba tonight. It was the first time that I've done anything remotely resembling excerise since my surgery two weeks ago.  I was excited but now I'm really feelimg it. I will be going to bed soon!

After I got finsihed with Zumba, I went to my parents house to trim and file my grandmother's nails. I feel like she is getting depressed (or deeper into it) and I only hope my little visit gave her some pleasure and happiness. For anyone who doesn't know, my grandmother has inflammatory breast cancer. She does get lonely, so hopefully I helped make her happy for a little while at least!

Well after all this excitement for one day, this is one tired girl! I'd like to sign off with a quote that I read on a sign at Race for the Cure and absolutely loved:

"Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death" (seems to REALLY apply to me!)

Good night!

2 comments:

  1. You are truly beautiful, inside and out!!! Praying all goes well continually in Your Precious Life!!! ; - ) Love You!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courage is also sharing your fears with friends who can and will walk the road with you. :)

    ReplyDelete