PREVIVOR: A person who is not diagnosed with cancer, but has survived the predisposition, or higher risk, of cancer due to a genetic mutation and/or strong family history. After being armed with this information, a previvor can make informed choices prior to a cancer diagnosis.

Sunday, April 24, 2011


I think the title says it all. I actually freaking did it! For awhile I didn't think I had it in me. Well as I'm laying in my recliner, trying to awkwardly type on the iPad (which has quickly became my best friend) ill try to give the best recap of the last 6 days as possible.

Well on Monday morning I got up and finished packing my bag (I'm such a procrastinator) and I got my pillow ready. I slipped inTo a button up shirt and some yoga pants and put on my flip flops and waited on my mom to come pick me up. When she got to my house, I nervously kissed Mike bye and loaded everything into the car to head to Dr Coopers office. We were supposed to go there first so I could get marked before surgery. Then I was supposed to be at the hospital at 9:30. Well when the doctor hadn't come in by 9:15 I started to get a little worried. My mom immediately went and told the nurse that we were going to be late to the hospital and where was the doctor? About 5 minutes later, the nurse stuck her head in and said Dr Cooper was detained at the hospital, but was on her way and that they made sure the hospital knew I was running late. About 10 more minutes went by and FINALLY the doctor came in. She introduced herself to my mom and then asked me if I was stressed. I figured why lie? So I told her yes. She laughed and gave me a hug and told me everything would be fine. She quickly marked mms like she wanted and gave me the drain gift bag... Lol. Its a pink bag with measuring cup, drain belt, record sheet, gauze, tape, a ribbon to tie the drains around while showering, and antibacterial soap. Well after we got done there, we were off to the hospital.

Mike met my mom and I at the hospital and we all three walked in together. At this point, I was no longer stressing about the surgery- I guess I was falling into the old patient routine since I've had surgery so much. We went up to the room and got all the pre-op questions and needle sticking out of the way. Then they told me it was time to go. They said my mom could go back with me, so Mike squeezed my hand and said he loved me and everything was going to be fine. We went back to pre-op holding and after we met with anesthesia a nurse stuck her hxead in and said my other doctor was running late. WHAT?! Dr Cooper stuck her head in and asked if we minded if she waited with us because She needed to talk to Dr King. She did everything in the chart and finally Dr King stuck his head in. After he left, they said it was time to go back. It was at that point I had a fleeting image of throwing back the covers defiantly and
heading for the exit. Of course, with an IV stuck in my hand and at least 5 nurses surrounding my bed that was probably easier said than done. Besides at that point, as if she could read my mind, the anesthesia nurse gave me my first dose of medicine and all escape plans quickly left my mind. Then that was quickly followed by the real meds and it was lights out for me.

When I woke up in recovery my first coherent thought was OW! I slowly came awake, trying to respond to the nurses questions. When she lifted up my hospital gown, I slowly and painfully looked down. Oh my boobs were gone! Now, granted I understand that this was the whole point of the procedure. But when you're used to seeing something for your whole life, it's very strange not to see it. After awhile, they started to wheel me off to my room. My mom and my sister met us in the hall and walked with us to my room. They told me my dad and Mike were already on the way to my room. And of course we had to go on an elevator...when we got on and the bed rattled I felt like someone took a hamsmer to my chest. OW!

When we got settled in, I became incredibly itchy. I had Mike and my sister scratching my face for me. That was a side effect of the boatload of pain meds I had received. The first night in the hospital seemed never-ending!

When it was FINALLY day time again, I managed to eat some breakfast (being still was too much to raise my arms). Around 8:30 or so Mike came into the room. I hobbled to the bathroom and changed into some pjs. I managed to get situated in a chair for awhile. Dr Cooper came in and looked at my skin flaps (aka ex-boobs) Shae said she wasn't able to fill the expanders because some of the skin started to die when she tried. She said I could come into her office and She could trim back the dead skin patches. (there is a proper name or this, but that's what it means). She then said she was writing up my discharge papers. So a few hours later I got to go home!

And here I sit, 6 days later in the recliner in our living room. I can slowly see improvements but I'm SO tired. Once we get tHe procedure over tomorrow and hopefully get some drains removed I'll start to feel even better. Then we get to start the process of fills!

More later, but writing has worn me out! Just wanted to let everyone know how I was doing. I'll do more of an item later.


  1. Good for you. I'm glad you're doing well and recovering from the surgery.

  2. Glad you are home and in good spirits.

  3. Bless you, bless you, bless you.


  4. Cheering you on, Sweetie! You sound like an amazing woman. Hope you're feeling better every minute.

  5. yahoo! so glad you are at home and on the healing side:)