PREVIVOR: A person who is not diagnosed with cancer, but has survived the predisposition, or higher risk, of cancer due to a genetic mutation and/or strong family history. After being armed with this information, a previvor can make informed choices prior to a cancer diagnosis.

Friday, December 10, 2010

CRAZY Week!

So this week has been a pleothra of craziness (pleothra...that's a cool word right? HA HA My first boss called me a pleothra of knowledge and I've loved the word ever since then.). Work, school, and LIFE in general has been a little nutty this week. I'm glad to say that my hardest exam is over and only have one more on Monday night.Then I will THROUGHLY enjoy the two weeks before the Spring trimester starts at school.

I had my first breast reconstruction consultation today. I really like Dr. Cooper and have an all around good feeling about the surgery now. Dr. Cooper is very young though....probably mid 30s? But I like that. I feel like she better understands the need for athestics, more than an older doctor who's been operating for years. And she's worked with Dr. Hollabough who did my thyroid surgery when I was 8. So did Dr King, the other surgeon who would be doing my mastectomy. That's like a sign from God right?

I asked her about the anxiety I'm feeling about the surgery. She really understood and said that they recommend that their patients take Xanex. So she gave me a prescription for it. I feel weird admitting that I'm not some strong superwoman when it comes to medical issues and surgery. But I realize it's ok not to be the strong one sometimes and lean on other people or things. So I guess my journey to my  surgery begins. I'll try to keep busy with school, work, going to the gym, and anything else that keeps me occupied. Right now I'm enjoying my lazy Friday night with Papa Johns and Fred Claus.

Good night!

1 comment:

  1. It takes real maturity and strength to allow yourself to receive strength and support from others. You go girl. From your friend and dad of one of your fifth graders in religious ed.

    ReplyDelete