PREVIVOR: A person who is not diagnosed with cancer, but has survived the predisposition, or higher risk, of cancer due to a genetic mutation and/or strong family history. After being armed with this information, a previvor can make informed choices prior to a cancer diagnosis.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

One Month

I honestly cannot believe it's already been a month since my mastectomy. Even though, with all the complications I'm still very glad I had the surgery. You may be asking, "Why am I blogging again so close to my last entry?" well, two reasons..1- I wanted to write about what happened yesterday and 2- since I can't eat or drink I need to pass the time until it's time to leave. Oh yes, you heard me. I'm having surgery today. Apparently my right expander and my body really don't get along, so one of them has got to go..and obviously it's my expander and not me.

I was originally supposed to go to the doctor today at 11am to make the decision whether or not to remove my expander, which would then be scheduled for Thursday. Well, yesterday morning, I noticed a wet spot on my shirt. When I went to the bathroom, I saw my incision was leaking. I immediately applied pressure to it, thinking it would stop soon. It didn't, instead it started leaking more quickly. I started to panic, texting Mike and then calling the doctor. The nurse told me that Dr Cooper was out but to come in right away to see the on call doctor. Mike went to Walgreens and returned with gauze and tape and started to bandage me up. He put three gauze pads on and taped it pretty securely. (Which by the way, I think he deserves a medal or something. He's been absolutely wonderful during this whole thing. Even though I've told him more than once I'd understand if he left. I feel pretty gross lately) While I was standing in the living room, waiting on him to get changed so we could go, I noticed a wet spot. WHAT!? I yelled at him that I was leaking through. He grabbed a paper towel and we headed off to the doctor. We had no more than made it 10 minutes up the road when I realized I had soaked through the paper towel. He pulled off at a store and got a roll of paper towels. And off we went. Did I mention I was in full on panic mode? I can handle a lot and I like to think I'm a strong person but something about fluid practically gushing from your body was enough to undo me.

By the time we got to the doctor I had calmed down. When we walked in, the nurse from the surgery center told us hello. The surgery center is across the hall from the PS. Guess I'll get to talk to her today... Anyway, as I walked in I realized that potential patients of the PS may get scared off. I looked horrendous! I went and talked to the doctor we reaffirmed what Dr Cooper thought would have to happen. They moved my 11am appointment to 9 am and instructed me not to eat or drink after midnight. I'm just ready to get this over.

So I guess it's a lopsided life for me for awhile. I guess I'll buy some bras my new size and stuff the right side. Funny, I had an image of boldly walking into Victorias Secret and asking them to measure me for a bra..and then seeing one boob. Bet I'll win the prize for most interesting customer :)

Well, guess I better start getting ready. You know, Dr Cooper said I'd made quite an impression on all the nurses at the surgery center. At least I know I'll get good care :)


  1. Hey Michelle, Hang in there! So sorry to hear of the complications. You are a strong woman and you will get thru this. I will be praying for your quick recovery :)

  2. OH MAN! That sucks. I would have been so afraid. What are your next steps?

  3. I have to wait 6-8 weeks and then have a lat flap surgery. They take part of the muscle of your back to reconstruct your breast. They also put a tissue expander in and fill it up so you're the same size on both sides