PREVIVOR: A person who is not diagnosed with cancer, but has survived the predisposition, or higher risk, of cancer due to a genetic mutation and/or strong family history. After being armed with this information, a previvor can make informed choices prior to a cancer diagnosis.

Friday, May 6, 2011

A minor setback

Well I ended my last post by saying that I'd definitely have the other two drains out by today. WRONG! There's a place on the incision on my right side that a scab fell off prematurely and now it's open. When I went to the PS today, she was concerned about it. She said that if it had been a simple breast reduction then she would just leave the area alone and let it heal. BUT being that I have alloderm and tissue expanders so close to the surface that she didn't want to take any chances on them getting infected. So I have strict instructions on how to care for the area over the weekend. I go back to the doctor on Monday and unless it's a lot better looking, I have to go back to the OR for another debridement. AH! if that happens, that will mean it will be 4 surgeries total.bnow, I know it could be worse. I keep telling myself that. I mean I completely dodged a bullet by eliminating my breast cancer risk. But between this new development and the fact that my drains haven't stopped draining YET (and yes ive already been told it's because I'm full of it) this SUCKS no doubt. I have no idea how this all will affect my timeline of recon that I had laid out in my head going into this. Oh well...I'll be able to exercise my "go with the flow"ness that everyone knows and loves :)

Another thing, I hate being stuck in the house! I feel like the whole world is going on without me! Maybe when I finally get these ***** drains out, I'll be able to get out some and slowly regain my sense of normalcy!

Well I'm going to wrap this up. I don't want to be completely whiny and complaining. I'm just feeling crappy right now! Maybe tomorrow will be a better day!

4 comments:

  1. uhg. this is horrible. i can't imagine having drains in for 19 days already. hang in there and i'm thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! My doctor has promised they'd come out by the end of the week. Trust me it's been a major suckfest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for being so honest...I meet with a breast surgeon on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! I know that's the hard part! My best advice-take it one day at a time and try to take everything in stride. Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions or want to talk.

    ReplyDelete