PREVIVOR: A person who is not diagnosed with cancer, but has survived the predisposition, or higher risk, of cancer due to a genetic mutation and/or strong family history. After being armed with this information, a previvor can make informed choices prior to a cancer diagnosis.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Once again, it's time for SCHOOL

So my first day back at school was today. I forgot how hard it was to get up before 6 AM. I've enjoyed sleeping until 6:30 AM every week day! My class that I went to today should be interesting...Spritual Aspects of Care. It will be cool to learn all of the different religions and their beliefs and customs regarding health care. Then, Saturday is  my "fun day." Instead of hanging out and doing what I want to do (Zumba, Shop,  Sleep, etc) I get to be in AP 2 (Anatomy and Physiolgy 2) from 10:15-4 pm. AHHHH!!!! But I will survive :)

One thing that is CONSTANTLY on my mind now is the fact that April is not that far away. As I was sitting in class today, I was thinking that before I know it this class will be over and I'll be ready to do the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Sometimes I find myself thinking ,"What in the world are you thinking????? They are your BREASTS. Are you stupid???" But then I quickly remember that if I didn't go through with the surgery that in a few months time I'd be starting the vicious cycle all over again...mammogram, ultrasound, core biopsy, excissional biopsy. And I wouldn't be so lucky and I would hear I had cancer. Then I'd have to live with myself, knowing I could have prevented it. So I know I'm doing the right thing by having the surgery.

Starting this blog, I didn't know how people would react to me announcing that I'm having a PBM. Prophlaytic surgery of any kind is perceived by some as being such a drastic, unneccessary procedure. I was all ready to yell at people to take a walk in my shoes. But luckily, everyone has been sooo supportive and understanding. I've gotten nothing but positive feedback and for that I'm eternally grateful. More than anyone could ever know. I've seen so many posts on the FORCE message boards from women who have gotten the completely opposite reaction from people. So, I know I'm one of the lucky ones.

I should have a date for my surgery soon. Until then, I suppose I'll concentrate on my school work, gym time, work and everything else.  :)

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment