PREVIVOR: A person who is not diagnosed with cancer, but has survived the predisposition, or higher risk, of cancer due to a genetic mutation and/or strong family history. After being armed with this information, a previvor can make informed choices prior to a cancer diagnosis.

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

I cannot believe that it's 2011! It seems like we were celebrating the new millenium just yesterday, not 11 years ago. Time is going by so fast. When I think about it, that's both a scary and a good thing. It's scary becaue that means that April will be here before I know it. And it's also good because it'll be over before I know it. Does that make sense? I'm both scared of having the surgery get here to being ready to have it over.

One the girls who writes a blog on my blog list (Rachel at http://www.losingtheboobs.blogspot.com/) had her PBM in April 2010 and was done with the whole process in December 2010. That really helpd me a lot because I feel like that gives me a good time frame with how everything will progress and how long it will take. So thanks Rachel =)

Now that I really think about it I do have a few New Years Resolutions. I figure I'd share them with here. Think of this as my top 5 resolutions.

1- I think I mentioned it in a previous blog but I want to handle my PBM with as much grace and courage as possible. I also want to add some humor into it! I want it to be as easy and painless (figuratively and literally speaking) as possible!

2-I want to be a better person in 2011. I can't really pinpoint a specific fault I want to change (do I have one? Just kidding =) ) I just want to be the type of person that people look at it and think "I want to be like her!"

3- I want to make an A in one of my classes this semester. I'm not picky, I just want one! An A has managed to elude me so far in nursing school.

4- I've mentioned this before but I want to get in better shape and lose more weight. I mean c'mon that's got to be a resolution right? It's like a MUST to have a weight-related resolution.

5-I want to help others! I really think that God had me survive all of this medical craziness for a reason, and I want to use my experiences to help other people.

So there you have it, my list of resolutions. I may not keep them all but when I look back at 2011 this time next year, new boobs and all,  I want to be able to say at least I gave it my best shot.

Michelle

3 comments:

  1. wow michelle! thanks for the shout out!

    i was actually very conservative with my reconstruction and many were done a few months a head of me. i sometimes went a whole month to a month and a half in between fills and i think i went a whole month and a half between my final fill and exchange. it was a test of patients but is all worth it now that i am done.

    :) rach

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel-

    Ha ha your welcome =) I'll probably be the same way. Why rush it right?? I want to get back to normal life as soon as possible after surgery and if that means taking a long time for recon then that's ok. I was just telling someone today it's going to really really suck not going to the gym for so long =(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to you!! Positive attitude is the first step to all of them... Good luck this year, and I am also hoping for an A this year.

    ReplyDelete